Friday, June 27, 2008

Goodbye Independence

Last night, I had a bit of a scare. I should tell you first that I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I switched to insulin a month ago after finding out that most oral diabetic meds are bad for heart failure patients. Therefore, I had to switch to sticking myself in the stomach with a needle. Oh lucky me!!!

At any rate, I guess I didn't eat enough dinner and my blood sugar went alarmingly low. I woke up in the middle night and I was completely disoriented. My limbs were tingling and an extreme fatigue fell over my body. I called for my mom who happened to come one night earlier than expected to help me. She saw that I was sweating beyond control and realized what was happening.

She immediately swung into action in a calm assertive way and brought me a host of korean foods called banchan which is a tapas-style way of eating. Koreans typically eat banchan anchored by sticky rice and kimchi (a malodorous fermented pickled cabbage hated by most round-eyed people). The additional sugar in my system took a while to take effect but it eventually rounded me back to my usual and hated cantankerous form.

This event taught me that as much as I want my independence that it might be also harmful to my own health. It's kind of sobering but it might be best that I don't live alone. I need to find a balance between needing help and allowing my surly self to find some breathing room. God help us all.


1 comment:

Mizzle said...

Kimchi is not that bad...