Thursday, June 19, 2008

Yay For Sleep

For those that know me well, they know that I'm a tortured sleeper. I get that from my mom because she is worry wart (euphemism for control freak) like me. I worry about finances, my legacy and about my friends and family. However, I don't worry about my surgery but I do worry how my surgery affects my finances, my legacy, my friends and my family. So I envy those that can fall into sleep so easily.

My ex father-in-law is one such person. First of all, I love the man and I consider him to be one of the greatest human beings on earth. He nursed me back to health during my 3rd open heart surgery. I also helped him during his prostatecomy when he stayed at my place.

At any rate, he has the habit of sleeping anywhere at anytime. I swear he is only awake only 50% of the time at church. In addition, he will sometimes talk to you and he will fall asleep not only in mid-sentence but sometimes in mid-word. How does that happen? I remember him once telling me a story and in the middle of word, he nods off and starts to snore.

He also has the propensity to nod off while driving long distances. He has a trick to keep himself awake. He likes to each sunflower seeds. The motor skills required to open a sunflower seed allows him to focus and concentrate on the road. I have tried this many times and it does work. However, I chronically have gout and everytime I eat sunflower seeds, I get a very painful gout attack. Now, I just pull to rest stop for a quick 20 mins to revive myself.

My lack of sleep is causing me problems to an already tired and weak body. I have a tough time concentrating and getting things done. This reminds me of a story a friend told me about a trip to the psychiatrist. The psychiatrist said in a Morpheus (The Matrix) like way, "I have two pills in my hand. "The blue pill will give you the ability to focus and work very efficiently and quickly. The red pill will give you peace and calm. Which pill would you like to take; the blue or the red pill?"

For me, I'd take the blue pill because I would like to have more energy and be able to get things done. I don't need the red pill because I already have peace in Jesus. My question to you is, which pill would you take and do you have peace in your heart?



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice undies you're wearing.

Anonymous said...

seeing as how i have to pack to move in the next month. i pick the blue pill.

Mattbear said...

I'd take 'em both, just to see what would happen.

Gianni said...

Blue pill. I have plenty of sit down and relax in me, and not enough get up n' go.

Anonymous said...

I would take the blue pill. It would be nice to have extra focus and energy! I can rest and relax when the blue pill wears off!

Mizzle said...

I would go with the red pill. I know the secrets to give me energy...peace and calm, not to so much. Have you heard what happens when the phone drops on me?