Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Open Letter For Prayer

Hi Everyone,

I will be having open heart surgery for the fifth time in a matter of weeks. I just saw the cardiac surgeon yesterday at the University of Washington Medical Center yesterday to get things rolling. My last two heart surgeries were touch and go with a variety of complications such as a stroke, catching a super bug called MRSA and severe swelling. The severe swelling caused my surgeon to leave me open for 4 days until the swelling went down allowing for enough room in my chest for my heart to beat.

I’ve been suffering from Congestive Heart Failure for many years caused by a congenital heart condition called Tetralogy of Fallot. My pulmonic valve has calcified and I need it to be replaced by this surgery. In addition, my implanted defibrillator has been acting up and it will need to be replaced too. The leads on the defibrillator have caused my tricuspid valve to leak so they will probably have to attach the leads to a patch which will be sewn onto the outside of my heart. I also have a problem where it will require that I need to have the heart/lung bypass machine to be attached to my leg instead of through the chest. This means that I will have to be on the machine longer than normal which will cause the severe swelling to happen again. Additionally, my heart has a ton of scar tissue that the surgeon will have to battle from the previous surgeries. The surgeon was clear that this will be a very complicated and risky surgery. The surgeon also said that he will need to have a Ventricular Assist Device (basically a partial artificial heart for the ventricles) handy in case something goes terribly wrong. He also noted that we need to get it done before July 1 because his residents will be turning over. He wants to use the most experienced residents because as he puts it, “for you case, I will need all the help that I can get.”

Fortunately for me, I have the best doctors that the Northwest can offer. I also have terrific support from friends and family. My last surgery was amazing because my family received cards and even phone calls from people around the world who didn’t even know me because of various prayer chains that I was on. That being said, I would like to ask for prayer for my surgery. I have set up this blog in case you would like to follow me through this ordeal. In addition, I’d like for people pray for my mom. She’s taking things pretty hard knowing that this will be a pretty dangerous surgery.

Thank You In Advance For Your Thoughts and Prayers,
Dennis

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lord I pray for Dennis touch him with Your Holy hands. Give him peace in midst of his trials. I believe that You are God of all things and there nothing impossible in You. Lord Jesus give Dinnes comfort heal him i Christ precious name ,amen.

it is me nwlen32

Anonymous said...

You're in my prayers... every day, and you'll stay that way.

Anonymous said...

you are and have always been one of the bravest people that I know. you are always in my prayers with trust and hope.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dennis!

You and your family will be in my prayers as you confront this tremedously stressful time. It is such a test to be in these kind of situations. Trusting the LORD and being postive can be a struggle when we are fearful. But remember, the spirit of fear is not something GOD has given us. Walk in the spirit of faith and love, and you will find peace. Know that you will be kept in my prayers always.
"Be still and know that I am GOD."

Your Sister In Christ,
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Dennis- You are one of the people that has reminded me that there is a God and He remembers and watches over all of us and we need to believe in ourselves as powerful, worthy, and talented creations. This is one thing you may not even realize that you have helped me with. You helped me with my faith and with my confidence and developing my talents. Speaking of talents, one of your talents is to make people laugh. As I read your blog, I read so many funny things. You are really good at telling a story,....kind of like stand-up -but sitting down........ fwt it?....sorry, couldn't reist..anyway, I will pray that you can get some good rest before your surgery, and continue to feel that strong spirit inside your heart that God has given you. I am confident that He will carry you through this one too. You are the miracle guy- hope to talk to you soon...cindy

AccountDeleted said...

The courage in you is inspiring to me and many around you.
You're in my prayers Yo!