Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Reality Check

I filled out my leave of absence paperwork for work for my short term disability. Which means I can hear the Jaw's Movie ominous theme song, "Da Dum, Da Dum, Da Dam." The big day is drawing near and people keep on reminding me about the date just in case I happen to forgot about the surgery. Don't worry, the surgery is in the forefront of my mind.

In addition, my mom is essentially moving in with me on Friday. I love my mom but please pray that we don't strangle each other. I haven't lived with her in 18 years and I look forward to the time together. However, I know she will treat me as if I'm some sort in invalid that is incapable of doing anything. I've fought for my independence and I doubt that I would give it up willingly.

Also, I need to give everyone a reality check on the surgery. I need to clarify that this upcoming surgery is not a cure all for what ails me. All it is doing is temporarily halting the progress of my congestive heart failure. Congestive Heart Failure is not curable by human means. There is no surgical or medical way to shrink the heart and undo the damage. I wanted to set the expectation that I won't be able to do marathons or steeple chase races after the surgery. It just keeps me at the status quo and prevents my disease to progress to the point where I would need a transplant. Again, prayers are always welcome and appreciated.

No comments: